When you own a business, marketing and advertising are essential to growth and brand awareness. But when there are so many different approaches that you can take to marketing, how do you know which one is the best? Today we’ll take a look at some of the different types of advertising platforms that you can use for marketing your business and break them down into pros and cons. Need help with your Advertising? Work with Alamo Digital Agency in McAllen, Tx. Joshua Moroles can help you along the way. Let’s start with the more traditional forms of advertising:
1) Print marketing
There are several different types of print marketing to choose from - newspapers, magazines, mail, booklets, and so on and so forth. Each of these forms helps you reach out to different markets and audiences. Newspapers, for example, can help you reach a local, older audience. Magazines, on the other hand, may help you reach a different audience and give you a larger outreach.
Pros of print marketing:
● Allows you to pinpoint your target audience
● Customers trust print advertising
● Longer brand exposure (most people keep magazines for long periods of time) Cons of print marketing:
● The number of people reading print has declined
● There is a lot of competition in print advertising. Your ad is likely to be right next to another ad.
Costs of Print Marketing: $500-$20,000 depending on whether ad is local or national.
2) Radio Advertising
Radio advertising has an advantage over print marketing in the sense that it adds the element of sound which can be used to capture the attention of your audience.
Pros of radio marketing:
● Allows you to target to a specific audience
● 30 second timespan to capture audience’s attention
● Quick and easy to produce
● Radio ads typically run several times throughout the day
Cons of radio marketing:
● Effectiveness of radio advertising largely depends on the time slot you get.
● Radio ads are often played as background noise, and many people don’t pay close attention. In order to be successful an ad needs to be heard several times.
Cost of Radio Marketing: $200-$5,000 per week depending on which radio station and time slot you select.
3) Television Advertising
Up until the advent of digital marketing, television marketing was the most sought after form of advertising. Not only does television allow you to capture a national audience, but it also comes along with the benefit of both video and sound, making ads more impactful and memorable.
Benefits of TV advertising:
● Allows you to reach a large audience in a short period of time
● Allows you to target your audience
● Television advertisements are seen as more credible
● Allows you to showcase your personality
Cons of television advertising:
● Producing television advertisements is costly and time consuming
● Successful television advertising generally requires your ad to be run numerous times
● If you make any changes to your product or service, the entire commercial must be reshot
Costs of television advertising: $115,000 for a national 30 second ad (average), or $5-$35 per 1000 viewers for a local ad.
4) Outdoor Advertising
Like print marketing, outdoor advertising can come in many different forms. Building signs, billboards, park benches, and bus signs are all forms of outdoor advertising that you can use to market your business. This form of advertising can help you to target a local, drive by audience.
Pros of Outdoor advertising:
● Can create an immediate impact
● Encourages impulse buying
Cons of outdoor advertising
● Ads must be short and sweet because people are only seeing them as they drive by
● Difficult to generate customer interest
● It’s not targeted
Costs of Outdoor Marketing: $250-$14,000 depending on method and location.
SOCIAL MEDIA AD COSTS ARE REALLY LOW RIGHT NOW. Why? Listen to Digital Marketer Joshua Moroles in the video below.
And then came Digital Advertising…
The average US adult will spend 2 hours, 55 minutes on a smartphone in 2019, a 9-minute increase from 2018. Among smartphone users in the US, time spent with their device is 3 hours, 10 minutes per day.
The average person spends over 24 hours a week online and over 2 hours a day on social media. These statistics have increased drastically in the last 10 years, especially with the advent of smartphones where individuals can use the internet anywhere they go. The main benefit of digital advertising for business owners is that they can target a larger audience for a smaller fee.
Here are some other benefits of digital advertising:
Pros of Digital Advertising:
● Allows you to target your audience
● Allows you to reach out to a national audience
● Allows you to reach your audience quickly
● Allows you to interact with your audience
● Generates brand loyalty
Cons of Digital Advertising:
● It can be time consuming, especially if you are advertising on multiple platforms
● It can take a long time to see a return on your investment
● You open your business up to negative comments
Don't take my word for it, listen to Alex Garrido, Director of Digital Marketing & Marketing Analytics at The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, talk about how UTRGV uses Digital Marketing.
Of course, the main benefit associated with digital advertising is that you can do it for a fraction of the cost of most other marketing methods. This is especially true when it comes to social media marketing. And while the costs of marketing your brand can differ greatly from platform to platform, social media marketing is extremely cost effective and can work for any business. Whether you are a massive company looking to reach a global audience or a small business looking to establish a local customer base, social media marketing can be adapted to any budget - start out small using free marketing techniques and then put more money into it as your business starts to grow.
Need help with your Advertising? Work with Alamo Digital Agency in McAllen, Tx. Joshua Moroles will help you get in front of the right people at the right time.
Need to get an aggressive Advertising and Marketing Campaign started? Send me a message today.